How To Get Rid Of Dandruff Fast: Discover The Causes, 4 Drugstore and 9 Natural Remedies That Works
The first time I ever had this dandruff experience was on my scalp-that was after my hair got burnt while relaxing it with a relaxer. So it was easier for me to know why I was shedding so much dead skin cells from my scalp. The second time was on my goatee- the hairs on my lower jaw or chin- and I really had no idea of how it came about or what the cause could have been. One notable thing about the second time was the uncomfortable itching that came with it unlike the first time it struck me. However, I was able to combat it within a week with both drug store and a natural product but before I delve into details on how you can get rid of dandruff with same and other powerful products, let’s understand this thing called dandruff
What is Dandruff?
The skin covering the head, excluding the face is called scalp. Sometimes it gets attacked by some factors which often lead to the death of the skin cells. When this happens, the dead skin cells will start flaking or peeling off and usually accompanied with itching. This kind of scalp disorder is known as dandruff. However, scalp is not the only part of the body where dandruff occurs, my last experience with dandruff was on my lower jaw. Dandruff isn’t contagious or serious but it can be embarrassing and sometimes difficult to treat. Dandruff can escalate to serious scalp disorder that will cause much hair lose for you and thanks to these hair loss shampoos that can help you stop hair loss and regrow your hair.
Causes Of Dandruff
- Malassezia: this is a yeast-like fungus that is found on everyone’s scalps. It does not cause scalp disorder when the growth is normal but when it grows out of proportion due to aggravation by certain factors, it may irritate the scalp and cause severe dandruff. This type of dandruff can spread to the face, chest, back and other oil areas of the skin when it is left untreated.
- Reaction To Hair Care Products: the first case of dandruff I had on my scalp resulted from the usage of a hair care product. I left the paste longer than I should on my hair which led to the burning of my scalp and few days later, my scalp started flaking followed by itching.
- Dry Skin: during dry season or harmattan period, the air is usually dry and hot. These conditions may cause dry, itchy flaking skin for some people. However, this type of dandruff usually comes in a small non oily flake.
- Seborrheic dermatitis: this is another name for irritated oily skin which is one of the commonest causes of dandruff and it flourishes not just on the scalp but in areas rich in oil glands, such as the backs of your ears, your breastbone, your groin area, eyebrows, the sides of your nose and sometimes your armpits. This skin disorder usually comes with red, greasy skin that is covered with flaky white or yellow scales.
- Poor Hair Care: Dandruff can be cause when deaths and oil build up on the scalp. Such environment will encourage the growth of dandruff causing fungus. To avoid this condition, ensure shampooing to the scalp and interval.
How To Get Rid Of Dandruff Fast
You can get rid of dandruff fast using natural products that are readily available around you or drug store remedies that can be bought in shops. However, whenever you use a product or medication to remedy dandruff and you get sensitive reactions like rashes, and inflammations — quit using the product— because our skins react to medication differently.
Drug Store Solution: 4 Best Shampoos To Get Rid of Dandruff Fast
It’s easy to get rid of dandruff fast using anti-dandruff shampoos. They are one of the major drugstore solutions for dandruff and very effective in restoring the scalp to normalcy.
Depending on the cause of the dandruff, different types of anti-dandruff shampoos can be used to salvage the situation. The major difference between the shampoos and others is the unique element in them that offers a unique treatment or targets a particular cause of scalp disorder.
Here are four best shampoos to get rid of dandruff and I recommend any of these below for your dandruff treatment:
1. Selenium Sulfide Shampoo
Head and shoulder clinical strength shampoo contains selenium sulfide which provides effective relief for the toughest dandruff. It reduces itching, flaking, irritation, and redness of the scalp by eliminating excess scalp fungus and controlling the rate of shedding of dead skin cells. Apart from using it as an anti-dandruff cure, it can also be used to remedy Pityriasis versicolor, also called tinea captis which is a fungal infection that has to do with discoloration of the skin.
This shampoo fights dandruff outbreak and it should be used twice in a week. The active ingredient in this shampoo is Ketoconazole which is an anti-fungal element that targets fungus. Nizoral A-D contains 1% Ketoconazole that help control flaking, scaling, and itching.
Neutrogena T/Gel shampoo can help get rid of dandruff fast by cleansing and relieving scalp itching and flaking thus can be use daily. The active ingredient in this shampoo is coal tar also known as liquor carbonis detergens (LCD) which controls symptoms of dandruff and psoriasis.
Generally, coal tar can be used in medicated shampoos, soap and ointment, as a treatment for dandruff and psoriasis, as well as being used to kill and repel head lice. Coal tar shampoos can cause discoloration for light-colored hair individuals.
Generally, Zinc pyrithione shampoos are antibacterial and anti-fungal formulas that control symptoms of sebhorrheic dermatitis — that causes scaly patches, red skin and stubborn dandruff on the scalp. It can also affect oily areas of the body, such as the face, upper chest and back.
Sebhorrheic dermatitis is an overgrowth of yeast on the scalp and the 2% Zinc pyrithione in DHS zinc shampoo creates a toxic environment on the scalp of which naturally, yeast can’t survive in a zinc filled environment.
Natural Remedies: 9 Ways To Get Rid of Dandruff Fast
If there are natural products around you that contain powerful elements that get rid of dandruff of any kind, would you not rather go for it? Below is a list of 10 natural remedies that amazingly gets rid of dandruff:
1. Coconut Oil
During my experience with dandruff, coconut oil was one thing I used daily apart from shampoo and within a week, the itching stopped and the dandruff was nowhere to be found.
Virgin coconut oil contains powerful medium chain fatty acid such as caprilic and lauric acid which are known to be super antifungal and antibacterial elements that attack virus, fungus and bacterial when used. During my breakout, I applied it twice a day — after shampooing my scalp in the morning and evening.
2. Tea Tree Oil
A part from the moisturizing benefits of Tea Tree oil, it naturally has terpinen-4-ol which is a potent antibacterial and antifungal compound that makes it great for curing scalp related issues like dandruff.
Here’s how to achieve result with it:
- Massage 5-10 drops of tea tree oil into your scalp at night, comb the hair properly and let the oil work overnight.
- Have it washed off in the morning with your Tea Tree Shampoo or any other shampoo
- Repeat the circle until it’s gone.
3. Olive Oil
Virgin olive is natural oil that contains antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that fight against the common scalp and hair problems like dandruff and it also contains other essential nutrient like vitamins A and E which salvages the effect of the damage done by the chemicals in our hair care products.
Warm olive hair massage offers a deeper hair conditioning and a healthier scalp result because the treatment removes the dead skin cells on the scalps thus stop other hair and scalp problems that may arise. Here’s how to achieve that:
- Warm your olive oil — enough quantity that can take care of your scalp
- Massage your scalp properly with it at night and cover your hair with shower cap overnight
- Wash it out in the morning with a shampoo
- . Repeat the circle until it’s gone.
Do you have apple cider at home? Apart from the health benefits we know of, it can help revive the scalp to normalcy. What it does is to establish an acidic environment that inhibits the growth of yeast on the scalp. Naturally, it is rich in probiotic which makes it a powerful antibacterial thus kills the fungus that causes dandruff and other scalp infections.
Applying this on the scalp is easy—use directly on the scalp with cotton, massage thoroughly and wrap your hair with towel to enhance penetration. Rinse off after an hour. But if you have a sensitive skin or injury on the scalp, use the application method below:
- Mix a quarter cup apple cider vinegar with a quarter cup water in a spray bottle
- Spritz the solution on your scalp
- Wrap your head in a towel and let sit for 15 minutes to an hour
- wash your hair as usual
- Do this twice a week
5. Baking Soda
You must have been baking with the solution to your scalp problem. Beyond the baking benefits of baking soda, there are other uses of this powder that will blow your mind especially in treating dandruff and other scalp problem. Baking soda balances the PH of the scalp because it’s alkaline in nature. This condition leaves the scalp healthier. More so, baking soda inhibits the growth of fungus causing dandruff on the scalp.
In using it, you can apply directly or mix it with apple cider or lemon for even greater effectiveness. However, your hair might feel dehydrated on using the baking soda until your scalp starts producing oils again in weeks to keep your hair soft and free of flakes.
Here’s how to use the soda only:
- Wet your hair with warm water and apply enough baking powder to cover the scalp or mix 1-3 spoon in half cup of warm water, stir properly to make a paste and apply on the damp scalp
- Whichever application method you use, ensure you massage properly to cover the entire scalp
- Allow it for some minute before washing it off. Make sure you don’t use shampoo.
- You can do baking soda daily until your scalp is back to normal.
Baking Soda with Apple Cider Vinegar
- Make a fine paste in a bowl with baking soda and apple cider
- Apply gently on your scalp and massage meticulously
- Wash it off with cool water after about 5 minutes
- This combination works and can help you get rid of dandruff fast. You can do it twice or 3 times in a week to restore the scalp back.
Dandruff does not stand this sulphur compound called illicin which is naturally found in garlic. By default, it clears scalp infections, leaves it healthier and enriches the hair as well. It’s very effective in the treatment of dandruff because illicin is an anti-fungal and anti-candida compound by nature. You can’t ignore garlic if you want to get rid of dandruff naturally.
To use garlic as a remedy and get the best out of it, follow the instruction below:
- Take 6-8 cloves and crush increase— to increase the surface area
- Leave the mashed garlic for 10-15 minutes to activate the sulfur compound in it
- Add a teaspoon of honey to the garlic which will increase the effectiveness because honey too is an anti-fungal thus reduce the strong odour of garlic
- Gently massage paste on your scalp and leave for 15-20 minutes before washing with a mild shampoo.
7. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera contains pectin that causes cells to be stimulated, divide and grow thus resulting in a fresh, healthy scalp. The glycoprotein which is an anti-inflammatory compound in Aloe Vera helps soothe the annoying itching sensation of dandruff. Aloe Vera gel in its nature offers a soothing and cooling effect thus moisturizes the dry skin of the scalp while the polysaccharides help it to repair itself and stimulate healthy new skin growth. it can help you get rid of dandruff fast using the method below.
To use Aloe Vera as a remedy for dandruff:
- Extract the gel from Aloe Vera by squeezing the leaf
- Apply and massage properly on the scalp and hair
- Cover the hair with a warm damn towel and allow for 5-10 minutes
- Wash it off with water then followed with shampoo.
- Can be done 3-5 times in a week
8. Table Salt
Table salt will not cure dandruff but will facilitate healing. This happens when you take advantage of the abrasiveness or roughness of the salt to uncover the surface area of the dandruff. This you can do by massaging and scrubbing the scalp for 10-15 minutes with salt so that the dead flakes are peeled off from the scalp. Thereafter, use anti-dandruff shampoo to wash your scalp. This process increases penetration of the shampoo ingredients into the scalp thus quickens the healing process of the scalp.
Table salt will not cure dandruff but will facilitate healing. This happens when you take. The acidic property of lemon balances the scalp’s pH level thus discouraging the survival of dandruff. Lemon also contains anti-fungal properties that combat dandruff causing fungus and its moisturizing strength can shed away dead skin cells on the scalp.
To use lemon as a remedy for dandruff here’s how to go about it:
- Apply 2-3 spoons of lemon juice on the scalp
- Massage properly and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of lemon juice into 1 cup of water and rinse your hair with it.
- Do this daily until the scalp if free from dandruff.
How to get rid of dandruff fast is an unending quest for people battling with dandruff. We will like to read what worked for you and how you did it.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.