How to use rice water to grow hair is an amazing hair growth secret you will discover in this post. When I first heard about the effectiveness of rice water in promoting hair growth, I thought it was a joke – one of those fake information flying around that barely works. But then I was wrong. Just like the African ethnic group called the Basara Arabs relies on chebe powder to grow and maintain their enviable natural long hair, rice water has been for years one of the remarkable hair growth secret of Red Yao women.
Huangluo Yao is a Village that is located on the Longji Scenic Area of China. It is one of the small villages in Longji where Red Yao tribe lives. Huangluo Yao village is famous and has been called the world’s long hair village for a reason: the Red Yao women have very natural attractive black, strong and shiny hairs that stretches up to more than 1 meter long, with the longest of about 1.7 meters according to The Guinness Book of World Records.
One of the secrets behind the Red Yao women having such a long hair is rice water –they use it as shampoo to wash their hair.
Centuries of years past, Japanese women were also known for their beautiful long hair too and that’s because they use the same secret ingredient that the women from Huangluo Yao Village used — Rice Water.
So how do you use rice water to accelerate hair growth? Here are different ways you can boost your hair growth with it.
Table of Contents
How To Use Rice Water To Grow hair
Generally, here are the six basic steps to follow if you want to apply rice water on your hair:
- Use shampoo to thoroughly wash your hair
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with clean water
- Pour the rice water gently into your hair
- Massage the rice water deeply into the hair till it gets to the scalp
- Leave the rice water to remain in the hair for some time ( this time is dependent on the texture of your hair)
- Finally, rinse hair thoroughly using warm water
How To Use Rice Water For 4C Hair
Here is how to use rice water on 4c hair to boost hair growth:
- Get a jar to wash the raw rice properly
- Scoop out the rice from the jar and transfer it to another bowl
- Pour a cup of water into the jar
- Add three drops of peppermint oil and leave for 24hrs for the rice to ferment
- Cover the jar tightly
- After 24 hrs, drain the water with a sieve into another bowl
- Use the rice water to massage your hair in sections, until it gets to the scalp
- Let the rice water remain in your hair for an hour
- Rinse the hair with clean water
- Use a very good hair conditioner to also wash your hair
How To Use Rice Water For Relaxed Hair
Here is how to use rice water if you have a relaxed hair:
- Ferment your rice for 24hrs to get the rice water
- Use conditioner and shampoo to wash your hair clean
- Spray your rice water on your hair
- Use a comb to brush your hair gently
- Tie up your hair and wear a scarf or shower cap over it
- Leave the rice water in your hair for over 12hrs
- Your hair will feel soft after 12 hrs
- Use clean tap water to wash off the rice wash from your hair
How To Use Rice Water For Curly Hair
Here’s how you can enjoy the benefit of rice water if you have a curly hair:
- Ferment the rice just like in the case of the 4c hair
- After the fermentation process, drain the rice water and pour it into a spray bottle
- Use hair conditioner to wash your hair
- Rinse out the conditioner thoroughly
- Spray the rice water on your hair and massage deeply
- Leave the rice water in your hair for about 30 – 45 minutes
- Rinse the rice water away with clean water
How To Prepare Rice Water
There are two methods you can use to prepare rice water. You can use any of the methods to prepare your rice water:
- Fermentation process
- Boiling process
Here is how to use these processes to prepare your rice water.
The Fermentation process
- Rinse the raw rice with a full cup of water to completely remove impurities
- Place the rinsed rice in a bowl of clean water and cover
- Leave the rice to soak and ferment for 24hrs
- After fermenting for 24hrs, use a funnel and drainer to sieve the rice water into another bowl – your rice water is ready
The Boiling Process
- Thoroughly rinse the raw rice to remove dirt
- Put the rinsed rice in a cooking pot containing clean water and heat it up
- Leave the rice to boil for about 15 minutes
- Put out the heat source once it’s boiled
- A cloudy substance will be seen, drain the rice with a drainer in another pot or bowl
- The cloudy substance is the starch from the rice –The starch is your rice water
Nutritional Value Of Rice Water
About 16% of rice water are proteins, the body building blocks essential to cell health. Triglycerides and lipids each make up 10% of the rice water composition, while starch is 9%.
Carbohydrates, inositol, phytic acid and inorganic substances are other components in rice water.
Inositol promotes cell growth, stimulates blood flow and it’s a good anti-ageing molecule.
Rice water can also be referred to as rice milk. This rice milk is rich in minerals and vitamins which make it healthy to drink.
It is also given to infants orally to treat diarrhea and GI tract diseases. In cases where electrolysis or regular oral rehydration solution (ORS) are not available, rice water is the best bet.
Other Essential Benefits Of Rice Water
Apart from boosting hair growth, rice water has other rich benefits on human hair such as removing dandruff and preventing hair breakage.
Eliminates Flakes And Dandruff
A dry scalp plus fungus infestation is the reason behind the cause of dandruff on the hair. Dandruff causes scalp irritation as well as itching.
According to scientific research, rice water is 85% to 90% effective in treating dandruff. Water gotten from boiled red or white rice prevents the growth of the fungus that causes dandruff.
Rice water treatment for the hair protects it from physical, environmental and chemical stress.
Prevents Hair Damage/Breakage
The usual curling and colouring of hair that most women do to style their hair causes lot of stress to the hair. Continuous exposure to ultraviolet rays of the sun as well as dust in the humid air can cause hair damage too. But, when fermented rice water is used on the hair, it restores all the losses the hair must have undergone.
Aside from the hair, rice water is also very good for the skin. We all know that the hair and skin are adjacent to each other. We can’t talk about one without consciously or unconsciously talking about the other.
Rice Water Benefit For Skin:-
- The rich vitamins such as Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, flavanoids and phenolic compounds in rice water makes it an amazing anti-ageing solution.
- It may help protect the skin against cancer because of the antioxidants it contains that helps prevent cancerous growth on the skin
- Rice water also soothes and prevents acne and pimples. It does so because of its high starch content
- It keeps your skin safe from skin burns. It’s a natural sunscreen
- It improves the skin complexion
- Rice water can be used as a bath soak. Adding two cups of rice water with few drops of essential oil in your bath water is enough to enhance your skin beauty
Side Effects Of Rice Water
Rice water undergoes oxidation process which leads to the fermentation of dried rice water on hair. This process is usually slow, but when you sweat, maybe while doing an exercise or due to the environmental temperature, it mixes with the rice water and creates a platform for the growth of bacteria and fungi which causes irritation to your hair scalp. You can use lime or gooseberries to rinse rice water off your hair after application.
You should also note that, rice water have a drying effect and impact on the hair. A person with a dry scalp is advised not to use excessive amount of it on the hair. It should be used only once or twice in a week.
What other ways have you used rice water to grow your hair? We would like to read from you.
- How To Use Andrea Hair Growth Essence For Beards
- Best Ways To Use Chebe Powder For Hair Growth.
- How Long Does It Take Rice Water To Grow Your Hair
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.